This is the most comprehensive multi-disciplinary study ever undertaken on Tipperary. Archaeologists, medievalists, Celtic scholars, geographers, placename scholars and historians of economics, culture and politics combine to provide an attractive account of this key region.
The first volume in the Irish County History Series. This is the most comprehensive multi-disciplinary study ever undertaken on Tipperary. Archaeologists, medievalists, Celtic scholars, geographers, placename scholars and historians of economics, culture, and politics combine to provide an attractive account of this key region.
Nineteen original essays by distinguished scholars place Tipperary in its local, national and European contexts.
William Nolan is lecturer in Geography, University College, Dublin.
Thomas G. McGrath is lecturer in ecclesiastical history, St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth.
All interested in getting to know Ireland through its regions. Tipperary people at home and abroad. Suitable for both the academic and general reader.
228 x 152 mm, 493 pp, 37 plates, 19 figures
- Some reflections upon the local dimension in history
- The archaeology of prehistoric Tipperary
- The medieval towns of Tipperary
- Parochial organisation in medieval Tipperary
- The Norman period, 1185-1500
- Gaelic landownership in Tipperary from the surviving Irish deeds
- Property, patronage and population – reconstructing the human geography of mid-seventeenth century county Tipperary
- An tÓr Buí: staidéar ar ghné de sheanchas Thiobraid Árann
- The Whiteboy movement, 1760-1780
- Aon fhile an leanúnachais – Liam Dall Ó hIfearnáin
- The Catholic Church in County Tipperary, 1700-1900
- Interdenominational relations in pre-famine Tipperary
- Patterns of living in Tipperary, 1750-1850
- Tipperary representation at Westminster, 1801-1918
- Landholding and settlement in County Tipperary in the nineteenth century
- Fr David Humphreys and New Tipperary
- Joseph K. Bracken, GAA founder, Fenian and politician
- County Tipperary: class struggle and national struggle, 1916-1924
- Planning in Tipperary: A view of the South Riding, 1964-1984