Twenty-ninth volume in the Irish County History and Society series
Foreword by Marie Coleman
1.The Physical Endowment of County Westmeath by Robert Meehan.
2. Prehistoric Barrows in Westmeath by David McGuinness.
3. Gaelic political assemblies and power-display in borderlands of Westmeath Lordships by Elizabeth Fitzpatrick.
4. Crossing the Brosna at Mullingar: the early topography of the town and district by Paul Gosling.
5. The Anglo-Norman Conquest and Settlement by Rory Masterson.
6. St. Féichín of Fore and his monastery by Rory Masterson.
7. Survey of the Holy Wells in Moycashel Barony by Caimin O’Brien.
8. Westmeath Bardic Poetry by Cathal Ó Háinle.
9. Besiegers without guns: Athlone 1641-43 by Pádraig Lenihan.
10. The 1641 Rebellion in County Westmeath by John Cunningham.
11. A county in transition: cartographic evidence for landscape and social change in early modern Westmeath by Arnold Horner.
12. War and society in Westmeath, 1689-91 by Harman Murtagh.
13. The Irish Language in Westmeath c.1600-1900 by Aengus Ó Fionnagáin.
14. Westmeath: literary ‘stories so far’ by Mary Shine Thompson.
15. Local Government in County Westmeath (1542-2019) by Matthew Potter.
16. Class and Conflict in Pre-Famine Westmeath by John Kenny.
17. Gigginstown and Crown Lands in Westmeath in the early 1800s by Timothy P. O’Neill.
18. Famine in the county town – Mullingar 1845-49 by Seamus O’Brien.
19. Assisted Emigration from Clonmellon Parish to South Australia in 1847 by Eugene Sheridan.
20. Between happiness and distress: Erskine Nicol’s paintings of rural life in Westmeath in the 1860s by Amelie Dochy-Jacquard.
21. The Corn and Flour Mills of County Westmeath by Seamus Mimnagh.
22. Church of Ireland parish and people in Westmeath, 1897-1996 by Lesley Whiteside.
23. ‘A disgrace to a civilised country’; making sense of Westmeath at Westminster, 1871 by Michael Kenny.
24. Religion and politics: the Parnellite split in Westmeath by Michael Nolan.
25. The decline of the aristocratic estates of County Westmeath, 1879-1923 by Eugene Dunne.
26. Post-Famine Athlone by Gearoid O’Brien.
27. The Gaelic Athletic Association in Westmeath 1884-1905 by Tom Hunt.
28. The Midland Volunteers Force and the Irish Volunteers: towards reconciling history and historiography by John Burke.
29. Barrack and community in a time of revolution: the East Yorkshire Regiment in Westmeath, 1919-21 by Paul Hughes.
30. Westmeath Elections 1918-1970 by Adrian Kavanagh and Caoilfhionn D’Arcy.
31. Modern Mullingar: 1923-1993 by Ruth Illingworth.
32. Some aspects of vernacular culture and oral history in Co. Westmeath: Jim Delaney and his work with Patsy Johnson by Bairbre Ní Fhloinn.
33. From Cregganbaun, Co. Mayo to Kiltoom, Co. Westmeath: a case-study of a Land Commission group migration scheme by Mary Burke and John Burke.
34. Westmeath Elections 1970-2020 by William Durkan.
35. Westmeath’s Archives by Gretta Connell.
Publication Date March 2022
ISBN: 978 0906602 980